· Physics Department, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79968-0515
· Tel. 915-590-6166 (home), 915-747-7528
· E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Web sites:
For complete details click on
For complete details click on section titles
Updated on Oct. 20, 2011
Updated on Oct. 20, 2011
· BS and MS degrees in physics from the University of Texas at El Paso and a Ph.D. from Texas A&M University
· Postdoctoral experience at the Niels Bohr Institute and Lawrence Berkeley Lab.
· Academic experience for over 20 years, mostly at the University of Texas at El Paso, as professor at all levels.
· Served as the Chair of the Physics Department from 6/2001 to 12/2008.
· Served as Assistant Dean of the College of Science from 1999 to 2001.
· Has been in countless academic committees and leadership positions, such as graduate advisor,
coordinator of the Masters in Science in Interdisciplinary Studies, coordinator of the Distance-Learning MS Physics Program,
organizer of the Physics Summer Research Program, etc.
· Member of The American Physical Society, National Society of Hispanic Physicists and others.
· Has served in numerous boards and committees for The American Association of Physics Teachers, Society for the Advancement of Chicanos
and Native Americans, Society of Mexican American Engineers and Scientists, as well as many Federal Agencies, such as NSF, NASA, etc.
· Reviewer for Professional Journals such as the Physical Review, Rev. Mex. Fisica, and others, for Standardized exams such
as the GRE , College Board Advanced Placement, College Board’s College Level Examination (CLEP) Program, and for publishing
companies such as McGraw Hill, 2011, Cummings, John Wiley and Sons., Wm. C. Brown Publisher and others.
· Advisor for Universidad Catolica de la Santisima Concepcion (Chile), Texas A&M - Commerce, Universidad Playa Ancha (Chile),
University of Texas Brownsville, Universidad Autónoma de Cd. Juárez (Mexico), among others.
· National leader, cofounder of the National Society of Hispanic Physicists.
· Has 34 interviews in radio, TV and newspapers, delivered 31 general audience presentations, written 34 general audience publications
· Has participated and organized 77 outreach activities.
· Has taught 19 different physics courses at all levels.
· Has directed theses of one Ph.D. student, 24 MS students and one BS student, has supervised 31 undergraduate students in research.
· Has been a member in 28 MS thesis and 13 Ph.D. dissertation committees.
· Has developed 27 items for course curricula improvement and teaching material.
· Specializes in nuclear physics, but has studied materials, science education and other areas including the social sciences.
· Has written two books, edited two books, and written 7 chapters and articles in books, 74 in journal publications, 41 in conference
proceedings, as well as 14 in electronic journals and unpublished articles. .
· Has delivered 62 presentations in national and international meetings and 78 in seminars and colloquia.
· Has organized 7 national, regional and local conferences, has chaired 17 sessions in conferences, and sits in
15 international advisory boards of conferences.
· Dr. Lopez has been the PI and co-PI in 106 grant proposals for research, education and outreach activities.
· A total of 38 proposals have been funded for over $3,700,000.
· Fellow of the American Physical Society, Outstanding MAEStro Award, Rho-Sigma-Tau Schumaker Professor by UTEP,
APS Centennial Speaker by the American Physical Society.
· Has received 15 awards for research, education and other.
students have received 10 awards while being under his supervision.